Highway Road Work South Of Superior Starts August 8
A heavily-traveled section of Wisconsin Highway 53 is about to see some maintenance work. The end results should create a better driving experience on the route south of Superior, near Solon Springs.
The Wisconsin Department of Transportation is about to start a road construction project on Monday, August 8 on Highway 53 - from Douglas County Highway M to the railroad tracks north of Solon Springs. That particular stretch has needed some attention for a while, and the repairs will bring it back to current quality-grade.
While there will be impacts to drivers, the net result should be minimal. According to an article in the Superior Telegram [paywall], "[d]uring construction, the highway will remain open to one lane of traffic in each direction".
During the road construction project, the Wisconsin Department of Transportation will work on the following:
- Make repairs to the concrete road surface throughout the entire length of the project
- Apply asphalt over the northbound lanes of the roadway - from Easy Nyquist Road to Solon Springs at the railroad tracks
- Mill and overlay the shoulders and turn lanes
- Repair and/or replace culverts throughout the entire stretch
- Replace guardrails around the bridge over the railroad tracks that exist just north of Solon Springs
- Replace the concrete approach slabs that exist on the south side of the north and the southbound US Highway 53 bridges over the railroad tracks
Total cost for the work is $6.88 million, with work being done by Chippewa Concrete Services, Incorporated of Chippewa Falls acting as the prime contractor.
The work that begins on August 8 is expected to be wrapped up in mid-October. WISDOT has complete details about this road construction project and all of the other work throughout the state on their website.