Bong Bridge Ramp Closures Happen June 15 + 16
Drivers who use the Bong Bridge as part of their daily commute will encounter temporary ramp closures on Monday, June 15 and Tuesday, June 16; the closures are needed as work crews with the Minnesota Department of Transportation accomplish inspections of the ramps.
The closures will happen during the daytime hours - between 9:00 AM and 3:30 PM. The timetable was chosen to alleviate demands on the ramps that happen during the morning and afternoon drive times.
Here are the specific details:
- Monday, June 15: The southbound I-35 ramp to eastbound Highway 2 will be closed to traffic.
- Tuesday, June 16: The westbound Highway 2 ramp to northbound I-35 will be closed to traffic.
According to MNDOT, the designated detours for these ramp closures is the Blatnik Bridge - although it won't be officially signed as such.
For the time being - as the COVID-19 Pandemic response is in place, MNDOT is working hard to adhere to Governor Tim Walz's Stay at Home executive order. Road work has been identified as a Critical Service by the state and will continue on.
Here are some important reminders from MNDOT about safety in regards to this specific project as well as any of the projects you might encounter this summer:
- Slow down when approaching a work zone
- Use caution when navigating through the marked-off work area
- Stay alert - work zones constantly change
- Watch for workers and slow moving equipment
- Obey the posted speed limits. Fine for a violation in a work zone is $300
- Minimize distractions behind the wheel
- Be patient
- Expect delays - especially during peak travel times
For more information about this specific project or any of the scheduled road work across the state, click here to visit the Minnesota Department of Transportation's online project page.
Stars Who Headlined The Grandstand At The 1980 Minnesota State Fair