I-35 Closures + Detours Happen June 1-4
A variety of small to medium one-day projects will bring some closures and detours to the I-35 corridor in Duluth. All told, the Minnesota Department of Transportation is alerting drivers that they will encounter temporary closures and detours from Garfield Avenue to the Blatnik Bridge and lane closures at Thompson Hill. Each of the projects are scheduled to happen during the daytime hours - after the morning commute and before the drive home from work - from 9:00 AM to 3:00 PM.
Here are the specifics:
- Monday, June 1: The ramps from Garfield Avenue to westbound I-535 will close for inspection. A detour will be provided. Lane closures will happen on westbound I-535.
- Tuesday, June 2: The ramps from Garfield Avenue to eastbound I-535 will close for inspection. A detour will be provided. Lane closures will happen on westbound I-535.
- Wednesday, June 3: Right lane closures will happen on I-35 southbound at Thompson Hill.
- Thursday, June 4: Right lane closures will happen on I-35 northbound at Thompson Hill.
For the time being - as the COVID-19 Pandemic response is in place, MNDOT is working hard to adhere to Governor Tim Walz's Stay at Home executive order. Road work has been identified as a Critical Service by the state and will continue on.
Here are some important reminders from MNDOT about safety in regards to this specific project as well as any of the projects you might encounter this summer:
- Slow down when approaching a work zone
- Use caution when navigating through the marked-off work area
- Stay alert - work zones constantly change
- Watch for workers and slow moving equipment
- Obey the posted speed limits. Fine for a violation in a work zone is $300
- Minimize distractions behind the wheel
- Be patient
- Expect delays - especially during peak travel times
For more information about this specific project or any of the scheduled road work across the state, click here to visit the Minnesota Department of Transportation's online project page.